Concert #032 - Wednesday - January 18, 1989 - Metallica (3) [...And Justice for All] HOF - Queensryche (2) [Operation Mindcrime] - Ector County Coliseum, Odessa, Texas (29)

Concert #032
Wednesday - January 18, 1989 (28) - Ector County Coliseum, Odessa, Texas

  So at this point in the late 80's, these bands were at the top of the upcoming metal world.
I actually threatened to quit my job if I was scheduled to work that day. My metal weenie was vibrating on high. I had been waiting for this show, since like fucking 1983.
  Back in 1983, a much younger version of myself  had written a letter to the Queensryche fan club, which had the address on the back of the first EP. In return, I received  a newsprint copy of the Ryche Campaign's first official publication, which was like 10 pages of newsprint, at about 14"x10" or so. I will post a pic on here of it at some point, after I dig it out of storage.
  I had missed Queensryche opening for Quiet Riot in 1983 on their first tour because I was 14 and grounded, I did see them open for KISS in 1985 on the Warning Tour, missed them again in 1986 on the Rage for Order tour, because I had to work. This time they were on tour for Operation Mindcrime which was really getting big, everybody was not only playing the shit out of it, but they were all talking about it in school, at parties, even chicks were really getting into it.
  They ran a short set of 10 songs, the sound was a bit screechy, and they were a little strained on the vocal harmonies. Geoff, handled keyboard duty at points.
 
I had been a huge fan of Metallica since 1983 as well, when the first LP Kill Em All came out. Even though they cancelled in 1983, they did come in 1986, and they were still the only thrash band to come to my town of Odessa, Texas until Megadeth came in 2001 or so.
I of course, had my own collection, but there was too much for any one person to get. So, I had a buddy named Mitch that worked at the Record Bar, and between Mitch and my other buddies like Lee, Rick, and Dean, I got all kinds of recordings from Anthrax, Metallica, Exciter, Slayer, Venom,  back then, recorded on cassette tapes, that wore out in a few months on my little off brand Walkman personal stereo tape player.
 I had tickets to see them on the first tour, Kill 'em All for One, but they canceled. I had traveled to Albuquerque, NM to see them open for Ozzy on their Master of Puppets Tour. and they were fantastic.
Then I got to see them headline on a little mini tour with the Godz, for Master of Puppets, during a break in Ozzy's tour, and by this time, they were my favorite band.
This is one of the loudest concerts I have ever attended, it was actually painful at times.
An absolutely brutal set list, of eighteen beautifully crafted songs, well worth the price of admission, which I think was $19.50 or so.
I have to say it was a bit weird not having Cliff (R.I.P.) there. Jason Newsted did a fine job, he is a great bass player and a fine entertainer in his own right. It was just a little sad, and a bit strange with Cliff Burton MIA.
But the main thing is, they played great, sounded great, they were just musically tight, but still looked loose like they were really having fun. James Hetfield did not over sing, yet, and in fact he sounded fantastic. Kirk Hammett is amazing, and I don't think he gets enough credit for his solos. I think they are some of the most well crafted solos since Randy Rhoads, and Michael Schenker.
Lars Ulrich actually drummed like a mother fucker on this album, AND sounded great on tour.

Went with Aimee Jo Maldonado(R.I.P.) Tracey O'connor and her boyfriend, Manuel
Metallica [3]             [...And Justice for All]   
    Metallica (3) [...And Justice for All] HOF
    James Hetfield (3) – lead vocals, rhythm guitar
    Lars Ulrich (3) – drums
    Kirk Hammett (3) – lead guitar
    Jason Newsted (1)  – bass



        1. The Ecstasy of Gold
          (Ennio Morricone song)
        2. Blackened
        3. For Whom the Bell Tolls
        4. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
        5. The Four Horsemen
        6. Harvester of Sorrow
        7. Eye of the Beholder
        8. Bass Solo
        9. Master of Puppets
        10. One
        11. Seek & Destroy
        12. ...And Justice for All
        13. Encore:
        14. Creeping Death
        15. Fade to Black
        16. Guitar Solo
        17. Battery
        18. Encore 2:
        19. Last Caress
          (Misfits cover)
        20. Am I Evil?
          (Diamond Head cover)
        21. Whiplash




      Queensryche (2) [Operation Mindcrime]

        Queensryche (2) [Operation Mindcrime

        Geoff Tate (2) – vocals
        Chris DeGarmo (2) – guitar, background vocals
        Michael Wilton (2) – guitar, background vocals
        Eddie Jackson (2) – bass, background vocals
        Scott Rockenfield (2) – drums

          1. Queen of the Reich
          2. Anarchy-X
          3. Revolution Calling
          4. Operation: Mindcrime
          5. Speak
          6. Spreading the Disease
          7. Take Hold of the Flame
          8. The Needle Lies
          9. I Don't Believe in Love
          10. Eyes of a Stranger







          Comments

          1. Saw this tour at The Cow Palace in 89 it was killer. Both sounded great.

            ReplyDelete

          Post a Comment