Concert #026 - June 7, 1986 - Metallica (2) [Master of Puppets] HOF - the Godz [I'll Get You Rockin'] - Ector County Coliseum - Odessa, Texas (23)

Concert #026
Saturday, June 7, 1986 - Ector County Coliseum - Odessa, Texas (23)








Metallica [Master of Puppets] (2) HOF
The Godz [I'll Get You Rockin']

 
A little mini tour of the mid-west while on a break from the Ozzy Osbourne tour was how they described it at the time. This date is still wrong, because I know it was after I saw Judas Priest on June 26, 1986.


Went with Ricky Daniel in my 1967 Firebird.
I played what I figured would be their setlist on my radio show, The Underground Metal Show, Saturdays from Midnight to 2:00 AM every Saturday night on KOCV. It actually reached as far as central New Mexico, and I got lots of calls from there. I was the only metal show between San Antonio, TX and Phoenix, AZ is what they told me when they called into the show.
Probably 25-30% capacity, MAYBE. I believe it was a gate of less than 600, if memory serves.
The legendary Godz opened up. Metallica drug these cats out from whatever flop house they were under since 1979. The Godz were always getting played on the college radio station I was on. Mainly the song, the Godz a Rock and Roll Machine. They were on the same dysfunctional label as Kiss, Casablanca back in the day. They were on tour for I'll Get You Rockin' which isn't even listed in their discography on Wikipedia.
Metallica was wasted by end of gig. During the encore, James and Cliff switched instruments. So James was playing Cliff's bass, and Cliff is playing James' guitar for Whiplash, or maybe Am I Evil. It was fantasic. The stage had tombstone crosses all over it.
Rick and I started the Metal Up Your Ass chant.
Lars Stopped down, and they all looked at each other in disbelief. I think this was the moment they just decided to have fun and go all out.
Best time I ever saw Metallica.
Second and sadly last time to see Cliff Burton. R.I.P.

That was a damn good night, met a couple of girls, partied until dawn after the show.

RIP Cliff Burton - September 27, 1986 During the European leg of the Damage Inc. tour in support of Master of Puppets, the band complained that the sleeping cubicles on their tour bus were unsatisfactory and uncomfortable. To decide who received pick of the bunks, Kirk Hammett and Burton drew cards. On the evening of September 26, 1986, Burton won the game with an ace of spades, thereby getting the first choice of bunk and pointed at Hammett and exclaimed, "I want your bunk!" Hammett replied, "Fine, take my bunk, I'll sleep up front, it's probably better up there anyway." Burton was sleeping shortly before 7 am on September 27 when, according to the driver, the bus skidded off the road (the E4, 12 miles (19 km) north of Ljungby), and flipped onto the grass in Kronoberg County Burton was thrown through the window of the bus, which fell on top of him, resulting in his death.

Metallica [2]             [Master of Puppets]   
    James Hetfield – lead vocals, rhythm guitar
    Lars Ulrich – drums
    Cliff Burton – bass guitar, backing vocals RIP
    Kirk Hammett – lead guitar

      Setlist: This is a setlist for June 02. Pretty much the same...seems like they did 2 encores.

      1. Battery
      2. Master of Puppets
      3. For Whom the Bell Tolls
      4. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
      5. The Thing That Should Not Be
      6. (Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth
      7. Damage Inc.
      8. Fade to Black
      9. Seek & Destroy
      10. Creeping Death
      11. Encore:
      12. The Four Horsemen
      13. Guitar Solo
      14. Am I Evil?
        (Diamond Head cover)
      15. Whiplash


       The Godz            [I'll Get You Rockin]




      The Godz [I'll Get You Rockin']
      some dudes

       Eric Moore, Mark Chatfield?, Glen Cataline, Bob Hill.?

      Comments

      1. I was at this concert too, one helluva time. I'd been into Metallica since I picked up Ride the Lightning at Endless Horizons. Couldn't believe how few people were there. We got wasted along with the band, though. Great time!

        When I read the review and it talked about a '67 Firebird and KOCV, well, I only knew one dude from Odessa that had a Firebird like that one - SID!!

        Wow, blast from the past! Straight outta 1986. Played poker with you a few times - hope you are doing well!!

        ReplyDelete

      Post a Comment