Concert #028 - November 19, 1986 - Triumph [Sport of Kings] - Saxon (2) [Rock the Nations] - Ector County Coliseum - Odessa, Texas (25)

Concert #027
Wednesday, November 19, 1986 - Ector County Coliseum - Odessa, Texas (25)



Triumph [Sport of Kings]
Saxon (2) [Rock the Nations]


Birthday show for me!! Turned 18....just like 4 months after they raised the drinking age to 21. I was really upset at the time, but it was probably a good thing. I would have done I think I went by myself, but maybe Ricky Daniel went with me.
My second time to see Saxon! I forgot about this until I was researching it on Setlist.fm . They had no entry for Saxon in Odessa, but they had them in ElPaso the night before and Dallas the night after. Then, I kinda started to remember...
Wow, I DID see Saxon on this tour! I was a fairly big Saxon fan at the time, I had seen them in 1982 on a four band bill with Cheap Trick, Axe, and Aldo Nova. I owned all the early stuff, and got screwed out of seeing them in 1983 when I won tickets they opened for Iron Maiden/Saxon/Fastway on the Piece of Mind/Power and the Glory tour. I had won a radio contest twice, and had four tickets, two Maiden posters, strangely two vinyl Motley Crue Shout at the Devil LPs (for some reason) and two copies of Power and the Glory. Then Maiden canceled.
Fuck.

Triumph started out really cool with a laser animated face that said, "Welcome, to the Sport of Kings."
Pretty rad. Not the best set list from Triumph, but still cool to see their big songs.
They had big hair. Everybody had big hair at this time, Ozzy, Judas Priest, Crue, everybody but the thrash bands. It was a little weird.
They were really happening at this time. Songs like Fight the Good Fight, and Magic Power were on the radio every day. Rick Emmett is a damn fine guitar player. I remember I had the tab for one of there big songs, Fight the Good Fight I believe, and it had I think 25 or so different chord diagrams in it. Every time they went back through the verse/chorus he would slightly change the chord to be augmented, add 7, and different combinations on every run through. I have never seen another composition quite like it. Interesting stuff for any guitar geeks out there.


Triumph                [Sport of Kings]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sport_of_Kings


Triumph [Sport of Kings]
Rik Emmett – lead & rhythm guitars, lead and backing vocals
Gil Moore – drums, percussion, lead and backing vocals
Mike Levine – bass guitar, keyboards, synthesizers, backing vocals


Saxon                [Rock the Nations] 
    Saxon [Rock the Nations]
    • Biff Byford - vocals, bass guitar
    • Graham Oliver - guitar
    • Paul Quinn - guitar
    • Paul Johnson - bass guitar (credited but does not play on the album)
    • Nigel Glockler - drums

      Comments

      1. I saw this tour at the Oakland Coliseum Arena. At that time, the opener was Black N Blue.

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Thanks man! I did some digging and jogged a memory, and come to find out, Saxon opened for them. I had completely forgot that I saw them on this tour, and I also saw them open for Cheap Trick of all bands, like in 1983 that I forgot about.
          Thanks for commenting!

          Delete
      2. i was at this show. me and about 10 other people in the balcony partying like hell and jamming to Triumph. i don't remember much about Saxon's set but i had an extremely fine time that night!

        ReplyDelete

      Post a Comment