Concert #018 - Friday, January 18, 1985 - Deep Purple (1) [Perfect Strangers] (HOF) - Giuffria [Giuffria] - Ector County Coliseum - Odessa, Texas (16)


Concert #018
Friday, January 18, 1985 - Ector County Coliseum - Odessa, Texas (16)



Deep Purple [Perfect Strangers] [HOF]
Giuffria [Giuffria]



  My city, Odessa, Texas, was the first stop of the U.S. leg of the Deep Purple Perfect Strangers reunion tour. Deep Purple stayed and practiced in Odessa for 2 or 3 weeks as a warm up for world tour, after a short Australian tour. My buddy Greg got their autographs as a waiter at Steak and Ale. He said the only dick was, of course who else, Ritchie Blackmore.
One of the few times Craig Goldy played entire guitar solo on this tour. I had heard rumors that Blackmore had demanded that he stop, thinking that he was being up staged.
  I asked Craig Goldy if this was true a few years ago, and he verified this.
"Yes it is true about Blackmore having me stop doing my solo during that tour with them!
I have some interesting stories about that tour that I'll tell you some day!"

  Great guy that Craig Goldy, and my favorite DIO guitarist and writer, ever. He is as talented as he is nice.
  So, my girlfriend at the time, went with me, on our first date. I was 17. Right when the lights went out for Deep Purple, she turns around and starts kissing me. I can hear Highway Star starting to get drummed in, like they do, so, not wanting to interrupt my first kiss with her, or miss the reunion of Deep Purple, I deftly moved her over a tad, so I could still kiss her and watch the band.
Gillan was just off Black Sabbath's Born Again, and was magnificent.
  It was truly a great concert, and Deep Purple did not disappoint.
Songs like Highway Star, Perfect Strangers, Child in Time, HOLY SHIT! I had dreamed of seeing Deep Purple since I started listening to music and it was a huge thing with my circle of friends.
It was SO LOUD! Jon Lord was so fucking awesome to watch as he rocked his Hammond organ back and forth until it looked like it was going to tip over. I had just missed him in Whitesnake, as he had left that band to rejoin Deep Purple just a month or so before I saw Whitesnake.
  Ian Paice is one of my favorite drummers of all time, and he was in his prime. Blackmore had nothing to fear from the great young upstart Craig Goldy, and should not have put a stop to his amazing solo.
  Meanwhile, my girl is grinding on me the entire concert. I will only say this: The Blue Balls struggle is real.

Went with Kim, Cissy, Dan.

First time to see Deep Purple, Second time to see Ian Paice (Gary Moore 1984), First time to see the great Craig Goldy (future DIO)

RIP Jon Lord -  In July 2011, Lord was found to be suffering from pancreatic cancer. After treatment in both England and in Israel, he died on 16 July 2012 at the London Clinic after suffering from a pulmonary embolism. - Wikipedia

Deep Purple (1)        [Perfect Strangers]



Deep Purple [Perfect Strangers]
Ian Gillan (1) - vocals
Ritchie Blackmore - guitar
Jon Lord (1) - organ, keyboards RIP
Roger Glover (1) - bass
Ian Paice (1) - drums

  1. Highway Star
  2. Nobody's Home
  3. Strange Kind of Woman
  4. A Gypsy's Kiss
  5. Perfect Strangers
  6. Under the Gun
  7. Lazy
  8. Child in Time
  9. Knocking at Your Back Door
  10. Difficult to Cure
    (Rainbow cover)
  11. Space Truckin'
  12. Encore:
  13. Woman From Tokyo
  14. Speed King
  15. Smoke on the Water



Giuffria              [Giuffria]   
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giuffria_(album)


Giuffria [Giuffria]

David Glen Eisley - lead vocals
Craig Goldy (1) - guitars (future DIO)
Gregg Giuffria - (ex-Angel) keyboards, backing vocals
Chuck Wright - bass (future and ex-Quiet Riot - House of Lords)
Alan Krigger - drums, percussion


Setlist:
  1. Do Me Right
  2. Don't Tear Me Down
  3. Lonely in Love
  4. Call to the Heart
  5. Trouble Again
  6. Line of Fire

Giuffria - Japan Tour 1985










Comments

  1. I saw this show in Houston TX. First time anyone offered to sell me drugs on the way into a concert. Deep Purple was amazing. I think the first song was Highway star. Everyone at the show was at least twice my age (a bunch of hippies). I thought the Perfect Strangera album was great and the classic DP songs made the show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ja, they did open up with Highway Star. In fact, the lights went out, and my girlfriend started kissing me.
    So, I did what any good headbanger did, and turned her so I could see the show, and keep kissing on my girl.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment