Concert #001 - July 15, 1981 - ZZ Top [El Loco] HOF - Loverboy [Loverboy] - Ector County Coliseum - Odessa, Texas (1)









 Concert #001
July 15, 1981 - Ector County Coliseum - Odessa, Texa (1)

tickets were $8.00



This is the very first concert I ever saw. July 15, 1981 - Ector County Collesium, Odessa, TX.   
Went w/ Dean Spit Purvis.
Loverboy opened, and they had great sound. I believe I read an interview with them back in the day that said ZZ Top allowed them to use all of their sound. Mike Reno stated during an audience participation song, that he grew up down the street from the coliseum, and I believed it hook line and sinker. I thought, wow, an Odessa kid just like me, grew up and is in a huge rock band now.
Of course I discovered later that it was all a lie, and he was Canadian. It was my first concert, and I was only 13 years old.
It was exciting even to watch the roadies do sound check. Man, those were the days. I have seen so many shows now, that do it silently, and the band comes out, and there are no vocals, or snare drum, or guitar, or what ever. They should go back to the old ways, not only does it ensure that things are working, but it builds excitement in the audience.
ZZ Top came out with Groovy Little Hippy Pad, and Billy was playing a tiny guitar. I could feel my innards rattle to the bass and drums. It was mag-fucking-nificent!  They had a laser show, which was REALLY cool in 1981, and a really big deal.
Billy Gibbons remains one of my favorite guitarists of all time, he is a true bad ass. Dusty and Frank are no slouches either. Great band.
In fact, they are the longest running, same lineup, 3 piece band in history.
I smelled pot for the first time, found and chugged an unopened beer in the parking lot afterwards, got lectured by a cop, and had my mom pick us up, thankfully a block away, so she didn't see us getting hassled by the cops.

RIP November 30, 2000, Scott Smith, bassist - [Loverboy - 1981, 1982] - Swept out to sea



ZZ Top [1]             [El Loco]  


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Loco


  1. Groovy Little Hippie Pad
  2. Waitin' for the Bus
  3. Jesus Just Left Chicago
  4. I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide
  5. Don't Tease Me
  6. I Wanna Drive You Home
  7. Ten Foot Pole
  8. Manic Mechanic
  9. Heard It on the X
  10. A Fool for Your Stockings
  11. Pearl Necklace
  12. Cheap Sunglasses
  13. Arrested for Driving While Blind
  14. Beer Drinkers & Hell Raisers
  15. Party on the Patio
  16. Tube Snake Boogie
  17. Jailhouse Rock
    (Elvis Presley cover)
  18. La Grange
    (with Sloppy Drunk Jam)
  19. Tush
 Here they are at Pink Pop festival.


 Here is a 10 song clip from a German TV show on this tour.
This is a radio promo from that tour stop in Nashville, TN




Some of these are from 1981.


    Loverboy [1]            [Loverboy]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loverboy_(Loverboy_album)








I couldn't find any live footage of this tour, so I just crammed some videos and a Dick Clark appearance on here.







    Comments